-post in collaboration with Yogi Tea®–
For me, gingerbread is part of Christmas. My mama used to bake all sorts of gingerbread goods and let my sisters and me decorate them. A gingerbread house, gingerbread man, and cookies. But my favorite part was to nibble icing and decorations. Haha. So this year I’ll turn the table and bake some Gingerbread cookies for my family but with a twist to it. The orange zest and the YOGI TEA® GINGER ORANGE give the cookies a rich flavor you probably wouldn’t expect when eating gingerbread.
If you want to give it a try and bake these delicious tea-infused gingerbread cookies, I would love to see your results! Use #ilkaeliseb and #yogitea on Instagram to join the baking session!
I think it’s always important to use fresh and quality ingredients when preparing food. Especially around this time of year, when you prepare food for others. I swap regular sugar for less processed brown sugar or coconut sugar and I also exchanged the molasses for a mixture of honey and agave nectar. Other high-quality products I used in this recipe are the Ginger Orange tea bags with YOGI TEA®. This brand also brings back a lot of childhood memories, as my mama used to always have YOGI TEA® around the house. What I especially love about YOGI TEA® (besides the great taste!) is its Philosophy. For example, ‚We only make healthy products – we sustain the environment and are responsible for our impact on it‘ You can learn more about that on their website.
But now for the super easy recipe. For the Orange-Vanilla Gingerbread cookies, you’ll need:
For the cookies: gives 10 cookies
Flour 170g (I used regular flour)
1 tablespoons baking soda
pinch of salt
5g Gingerbread Spice
0,5 tsp vanilla extract
50g coconut oil
50g agave nectar
100ml fresh pressed orange juice
60g brown sugar
1-2 tea bags YOGI TEA® GINGER ORANGE* (contains)
Zest from one orange
For the icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
4 tbsp orange juice
a few drops vanilla extract
- Make the cookies: In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and the gingerbread spices.
- In another bowl stir together the wet ingredients and sugar. Vanilla extract, coconut oil, agave nectar, honey, orange juice and brown sugar.
- Now mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is combined and a dough forms. Next, you blend in the zest of one orange (make sure it’s an organic orange, so it isn’t chemical processes) and the contents of YOGI TEA® GINGER ORANGE*.
- The dough will be extremely sticky. So make sure you chill it in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- On a well-floured surface, roll the dough out. You want the dough to be 1cm thick. Cut into desired shapes and place on a parchment paper (at least 2cm apart from each other).
- Repeat step 6 until all your dough is used up. When the dough gets too sticky, chill it down again – cold dough is much easier to work with!
- Bake for 10ish minutes or until the edges get slightly brown.
- Make the royal icing: Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl. Then add 4 teaspoons of the fresh pressed orange juice and a few drops of vanilla extract. Stir together until it forms a sticky paste.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag and have fun icing.